A heartbroken Wendy tells us "We lost Daisy last Wednesday, the 28th December.

She had another mast cell tumour removed about Feb/March time this year and was then
taken ill with a swollen abdomen in the summer.  Scans were inconclusive - there
was a large quantity of fluid in her abdomen but it was a mixture of blood and ordinary fluids. 
This made it near impossible to determine the condition of her organs without adding
stress to her and they didn't want to open her up because they thought she may go into
shock with the amount of fluid she may lose.

We have muddled along since then with Daisy seeming very happy and content, although
slowing down considerably and hobbling around.  Her walks were often shorter than the walks of Shadow and Bono but she was always willing and happy to be out. 

A few days before Christmas, Daisy became a little more unsteady on her feet and
struggled to get out of her bed on one occasion. She still, however, was full of smiles and
was eager to be fussed.  However, she was by now sleeping very deeply a great deal of
the time and the only way to wake her up was to gently shake her and talk to her, which
would make her jump. 

Over Christmas, Phil and I agreed that she would need to see the vet after Christmas. 
On the Tuesday morning, we got up and took Bono and Shadow out with us for a walk.
Daisy looked so eager to come with us but it involved a car journey and a walk we knew
would be too difficult for her to manage.  As a compromise, Phil took her for a walk as
soon as we got back.  Literally a couple of minutes up the road from us is the entrance
to the woods and also the entrance to the local park.  Phil felt she would be better in the
park so that is where they went.  Unfortunately, almost as soon as they got to the park,
Daisy sat and refused to go any further. After some coaxing, Phil got her moving again and
they started to head home.  They hadn't got far and Daisy just stopped dead; Phil then
had to pick her up and carry her home - a 35kg deadweight!

This confirmed our fears and so Wednesday evening Phil and I took her back to our vet
practice and, again, waited to see the senior vet.  He asked some questions, although
he was not surprised to see us there.  After a good check over and all questions answered,
the three of us agreed that, for Daisy, a peaceful, dignified ending was what she deserved
and so she passed peacefully with me stroking her head on my lap and Phil at her side, gently
stroking her.

We are all very upset; in fact for me, although this is the third time now I have lost a dog,
I have really struggled with it.  Whether it was because Daisy was a failed foster or because
we took her on at the start of my back troubles that continue today, I don't know, but I
am still quite teary just thinking about her.  However, I have always said that she gave us
unconditional love and trusted us totally - our duty, therefore, was to make the right
decision for her and make sure that she did not suffer. 

I want to thank you for giving Daisy to us that day in July 2011. She never learned how to
"play" like a dog that had been brought up as a family dog does; however, from the day
we took her from Terry, we gave her love, affection and a warm, comfortable and safe home. 

She had a fantastic relationship with Shadow and gradually came out of her shell.  She
never jumped on the furniture or the bed but she knew how much she was loved and was
always up for being fussed and groomed.  She was the first dog we fostered and,
although I kept my side of the bargain and would have let her be rehomed, Phil was the
one who felt we should keep her (much to my delight).  We have been more successful
since, fostering some gorgeous dogs for IRR and helping them adjust to new homes. The
last dogs we fostered - Ali and Bono - were from Black Retriever Cross - and we ended
up keeping Bono. As he made it three dogs, we have been unable to foster for the past
two years; however, in time, we are hoping that IRR will let us foster again.

Sadly, two of the three girls that came from the Welsh puppy farm on that day have
now passed to Rainbow Bridge. All I know is, however short their lives, and whatever they
suffered in their early lives, Daisy, and her sisters have all been loved and cared for in their
more senior years. Daisy and brave Mai have definitely both left gaping holes in our hearts.

Finally, thank you again for letting us have Daisy on that sunny day - she certainly brought
a great deal of sunshine into our lives and will be sorely missed".

Daisy's sister, Ellie May despite a few health problems,  is still doing really well and long
may it continue but, for sure,  Mai will have been waiting to greet and reassure Daisy at
Rainbow Bridge.

Fly with the angels, lovely ladies.



To nobody's surprise, Wendy, Phil and family fell in love with Daisy and failed as fosterers.

Daisy is a pure Golden Retriever who is about 6 years old. She is an ex-
breeder who came to us when she had just started her season and will
not be able to be spayed for another 12 weeks. She is a very gentle girl,
currently in foster in Kent.


We had an uneventful journey home with Daisy and
Bertie and Shadow have welcomed her into their home. Daisy is quite
happy to be petted by all our family and keeps
coming in and out of the house. She seems to have made one particular
spot in the garden her own. My youngest, Lauren, gave her some
cuddly toys and Daisy proceeded to take all the toys and arrange them
in a row in her favourite spot!

Daisy greeted Phil with a waggy tail the first morning and has been
happy for me to brush her and make a fuss of her. We are keeping
things very low key whilst she settles in but she is a beautiful dog and
will make someone a fantastic Forever dog.

Daisy has taken no notice of our various cats and, although we have
been keen to keep an eye out and watch that our youngest doesn't
pester her, Daisy is very gentle with Lauren, she just lets her stroke her
head and make a fuss of her.



We put Daisy to bed in our crate - she didn't seem overly keen
but once in, she was quiet all night until 6.45
am. We fed her in the crate but she wasn't very interested.
Once we opened her crate, Daisy
decided to pick up her food and deposit it in the garden!!
Poor thing was obviously stressed with the journey and changes
yesterday so we are trying not to crowd her. We are just reassuring her
and waiting for her to feel a little more settled before putting a lead on
her to walk round the garden.”



2017 Irish Retriever Rescue